I heard a lot about Scott before I met him. He attended Focus Leadership Institute a few semesters ago, and everyone who knew him had only great things to say. When I met him, I understood why. Some people have a way of making you feel accepted and at ease in a new environment, and Scott is definitely one of those people.
When I asked Scott about his heart for Family Life Services, there was no hesitation as he told me so simply his purpose he lives out every day: “I have a heart for children: Children struggling with poverty and children without father figures in their lives, especially young boys in need of a loving male role model. So Family Life Services is a perfect fit for me. In essence, I want to be a father to the fatherless.” In watching Scott interact with the kids, you can know that these aren’t just words. They genuinely reflect his heart and his mission here at FLS.
His heart, along with the simple fact that he is super goofy, was continually revealed through the rest of his answers. I know you will enjoy getting to know him as much as I did.
- One item from Scott’s bucket list: to tame a wild stallion! What high goals you have!
- He flosses once every couple weeks, randomly, whenever it crosses his mind… I actually think that is pretty impressive.
- Scott’s favorite way to rest in the Lord is to spend time in God’s creation. He loves to run or hike outdoors. Here is Colorado, there are so many opportunities to get outside and experience God’s creation!
- When it comes to great blessings, Scott immediately told me about his family. God gave him sweet parents who raised him in the Word and siblings who really care. His strong foundation on the Bible stems from his family growing up, something he doesn’t take for granted, but rather something he praises God for daily.
- If Scott could be a musical instrument, he would be a guitar. His reasoning was expressed to me with a sly smile as he said, “Yeah, because it reminds me of sunsets and long walks on the beach…” Classic, Scott. Classic.
- Scott experienced God’s provision in a big way when he moved to Colorado in January. Within one week, God provided Scott’s housing and two part-time jobs! Our God definitely shows up and shows off in mighty ways when we trust in Him.
- Scott’s favorite joke was so simple, and yet it got me so tickled… “Knock, Knock.” “Who’s there?” “Eat Mop.” “Eat Mop Who?”…hehehe…
- A quote that inspires Scott to dream big comes from Henry David Thoreau: “Go confidently in the direction of your dreams. Live the life you have imagined.”
The second chapter of Proverbs has a special place in his heart as well, showing him how to pursue God with everything that he is. This passage especially spoke to him during his life-changing experience at the Focus Leadership Institute last year.
- Scott also loves to dance. Anytime, anywhere. Even at work!
Scott has provided me with a encouraging example of how passion, responsibility, and fun can work together to make a difference in the lives of those around you. I hope to glean this ability as I continue to work with Scott at Family Life Services, as well as pick up some awesome dance moves…
Katie from Georgia
Be sure to watch for our next interview with the intern when Katie sits down with Jessica Terrones, our local intern and Graduate from Colorado College.